Carrot payasam


I had never heard this recipe until one of our famnily friends in Warsaw invited us for dinner one day. Their parents were at home and her mom made a wonderful carrot kheer as dessert after the yummy and filling meal. I was half willing to have it full as she had given a whole glass of it. But when I tasted it we both could not resist but drink it whole leaving behind the fact that our tummy was really full with a heavy dinner. She taught me this recipe. When I returned to India , my newly wedded aunt had visited me and I wanted to cook her something special. I decided to try this one out and made it. Everyone including her liked it and it was over in a day. Its simple to make too with very less ingredients. So try it out. Am sure both adults and kids would love it. 

Serves 4

INGREDIENTS:
  • Carrots- 6 long ones
  • Sugar- 1.5 cup
  • Cardamom powder- 1/4 teaspoon
  • Milk (whole)- 3 cups
  • Ghee- 1 tablespoon
  • Cashews and raisins to garnish
How to Prepare:

Step 1: Cut the carrots to big chunks and microwave for 6 -8 minutes. This is to get the carrots well cooked without any water oozing out . You can also pressure cook it for a whistle without adding too much water.


Step 2: Grind it to a smooth paste in a blender adding three spoons of milk. 


Step 3: Boil 2 cups whole milk till it reaches bubbling stage.


Step 4: Add the smooth carrot paste and mix well . Cook till the carrots are well cooked.  Add the sugar and mix and cook well till done. add Cardamom powder and switch off flame. 


Step 5: Heat ghee and saute cashews and raisins .Add to the cooked payasam. Serve hot or chilled. Both ways is tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment