Coriander -Garlic Rasam


This is an authentic preparation of the North Malabar region of Kerala. Usually we find different varieties of Rasam in South India , like simple thakkali rasam (Tomato) , or with dal preparation using the Rasam powder, or the pepper flavored rasam which we normaly prepare to heal the sore throat. All varieties are tasty . For me this preparation my mom makes is the all time favorite. Even of there are no other gravies also I can eat my whole lunch for any number of days if I get this Rasam. After marriage too , when I feel like getting sore throat I prepare this in large quantity and drink whenever I feel like, I simply love it. I am happy that my mom in law also prepares this in the same way my mom does , so now I can have it in both houses. When I came here after marriage, we had a family friend,Anoop  who is also from our same native. He used to call this rasam "the one with whole live coriander seeds" and though that sounded funny I started loving it and remember it every time I make it.

Serves 4

INGREDIENTS:
  • Coriander seeds- 1/2 cup
  • Garlic pods- 5 chopped
  • Mustard seeds- 1/4 tablespoon
  • Coriander leaves- 2 tablespoons
  • Tomato- 1 chopped to big pieces
  • Tamarind extract - of two lemon sized balls
  • Pepper powder- 1 tablespoon
  • Turmeric powder- 1/4 tablespoon
  • Red chilly powder- 1 tablespoon
  • Asafoetida- a pinch
How to Prepare:

Step 1: Prepare the tamarind water from the tamarind 

Step 2: Coarse grind coriander seeds and garlic together , do not add any water. 

Step 3: Boil the tamarind water adding salt, turmeric powder and  red chilly powder. When it starts boiling add the coarse ground coriander-garlic and boil it. A nice aroma comes. Now add the chopped tomato pieces. When the taste is all optimised switch off flame and add the pepper powder and coriander leaves.

Step 4: In a small pan add oil, splutter mustard seeds and add a pinch of asafoetida. Add it to the cooked rasam. 

Step 5: Serve hot with boiled  rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment