Green Peas Korma



Green peas are healthy and filling food . It can be used to make gravies as well as dry type side dishes. It is also a good addition in all curries as a final touch , giving both color as well as flavor to the dish. Here as we get cooked frozen green peas in all grocery store I stock it and use as a final ingredient in almost all dishes especially when we have invited guests or even when we need a change from the routine dishes.

My mom prepares a real good peas korma which goes well with our appam or with chappathys. I love it . My grandma also used to make good peas curry which she packs with parathas for my school lunchbox. I wonder how she used to manage it all alone in that age . Love you ammamma!!! 

This recipe is my mom's which she used to prepare. I did it exactly the same as she instructed ,but you know this small element that has to go in with the ingredients - kaipunya , maybe I did not get as much of it from my mom , it did not taste that authentic as my mom's but ok for us. My taste testing is -if it comes near to what my mom prepares its good otherwise not upto mark. It would not in any case reach upto her level but if it matches somewhat then I get a satisfaction. I guess it happens to all daughters who were lucky to have a lovely mom who cooks well too.And yeah it happens to sons too who from their childhood till marriage got to taste the wonderful dishes their moms prepare. Later they have no other option but to adjust with wives taste.

Serves 4

INGREDIENTS:
  • Green peas (preferably cooked) - 2 cups
  • Onion- 1 medium sized -sliced thin and long
  • Tomato- 1 medium sized chopped fine
  • Ginger- one inch piece chopped fine
  • Garlic- 4 pods chopped fine
  • Green chillies- 4 chopped fine
  • Coriander leaves and mint leaves - chopped fine
  • Turmeric powder- 1/2 tablespoon
  • Red chilly powder- 1 tablespoon
  • coriander powder- 1 tablespoon
  • Garam masala - 1/4 tablespoon
  • Fennel seeds- 1/4 tablespoon
  • Salt as needed
  • Grated coconut - 1/4 cup
How to Prepare: 

Step 1: Grind the coconut with Fennel seeds, garlic , ginger and green chillies. Add the chopped leaves and grind to smooth paste without adding water. 


Step 2: Heat oil add the sliced onions and saute till it turns transparent


Step 3: Add the coconut paste and saute till its raw smell leaves


Step 4: Add the Chopped tomatoes and mix well. 


Step 5: Add the masala powders and one cup water. 


Step 6: Add the cooked green peas and mix with the gravy. 

 










Step 7: Cook covered till the gravy becomes thick.


Step 8: Serve hot with rice or with chappathy.


No comments:

Post a Comment