Carrot rice


This is a flavorful dish which goes well with less spicy and spicy gravies. Today I had some guests for lunch and I had already finished all my gravies when I started thinking which type rice would go with those.All the common rice dishes I prepare usually flashed through my mind, but somehow I wanted to try something new this time. So I searched for it and saw some images of Carrot rice. It attracted me a lot with its rare orangish color and when I read the recipe I knew for certain that this is going to be really different and a wonderful dish for my special guests. But again when I searched my pantry I found that my carrots were not sufficient as per the recipes . Still I wanted to go ahead with my plan and made it with half of the quantity mentioned in the recipe. My husband helped in grating the carrots , I felt I must mention it here as it was a great help in my busy schedule. Anyways I am glad that the dish turned out to be a big hit among my guests and also with both of us. You can make it with your own masalas to suit your taste , here I have made it with light flavors without using much spices and masalas. 

Serves 6


INGREDIENTS:
  • Grated Carrot- 1 cup
  • Basmati rice - 3 cups
  • Ginger - an inch piece - finely chopped
  • Garlic - 2 pods finely chopped
  • Green chillies- 3 finely chopped
  • Mint and cilantro - finely chopped - 1/2 cup
  • Turmeric powder -1/4 tablespoon
  • Salt as needed
  • Whole spices- 2 cardamom, 2 cloves, 2 peppercorns., 1 inch piece cinnamon stick
  • Onion - 1 medium sized finely chopped
  • Cumin seeds - 1 tablespoon
  • Butter/Ghee - 3 tablespoons
  • Cashews and Raisins to garnish

How to Prepare :

Step 1: Wash the rice well and keep is soaked in water for 30 minutes. Drain it in a colander for one hour. When ready, Cook it in rice cooker with salt, half of the whole spices mentioned above and one tablespoon ghee/butter. adding 4.5 cups of water , in a rice cooker.

Step 2: Make a smooth paste with ginger, garlic, green chilly and 1/4 cup chopped mint and cilantro.

Step 2: Heat oil in a pan, add the spices and saute till it is done.Add cumin seeds saute till it browns. add onions and saute till it turns transparent. Add the ginger garlic and green chilly paste and saute till a nice aroma comes. Add the grated carrots and saute well adding turmeric powder and salt. When the masala is done add the cooked rice and mix well. 

Step 4: In a pan heat ghee and saute cashews and raisins . Add it to the cooked rice to garnish. Add remaining mint and coriander leaves to garnish.


2 comments:

  1. delicious ansd kids enjoyed it too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shilpa that day it came out nicely ...they enjoed ur recipie...it was awesome!!!!I couldnt call u after that ...anyway i ll call u 2day..Thanks 4 the reipie..Keep it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete